Re: Déjà vu? (Re: Why be cryptic? 'Xtns' should be name 'Extensions')

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Marc Lehmann wrote:

> Subject: Re:  [iso-8859-1] Déj[iso-8859-1] à vu?
>     (Re[iso-8859-1] : Why be cryptic? 'Xtns' should be name 'Extensions')
>
> On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 08:18:22PM +0100, Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Personally, I am pretty much tired of all the UI/change name/cosmetic
> > > games,
> >
> > Could more be done to allow these cosmetic changes without forks being
> > necessary?
>
> Of course. There have been plans to separate ui from graphics core since
> ancient times now, which would allow such changes in a relatively clean way.
> And lots has been done, too.
>
> But!
>
> Somebody has to do the work!
>
> There is no way around that.
>
> And this is what killed such efforts in the past.
>
> > without needing a recompile and this was a great idea but Sven point
> > blank rejected even the possibility of accepting patches which might
> > rebranding easier.
>
> I must admit that I don't know of these incidents, but I do trust that Sven
> would not reject a patch unless its incorrect and a better way exists.

Sven explained his position on branding here and why patches to make
the name easier to change would not be accepted:
http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-developer%40lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/msg08677.html

The GIMP name is mentioned in a lot of error messages, other places where
it is definately not necessary, but if I thought a patch would be
considered I would start on a patch for that.  (I've been reviewing the
en_GB.po already recently looking at other string changes.)

--
Alan