Re: Re: Image size limit of GIMP & Image SDK

You could use something like VIPS to chop your scans into manageable
pieces,  retouch the tiles one at a time in gimp, and then use VIPS to
recombine them again.

You could also consider 64-bit gimp. I imagine you could go over the
2GB limit with a 64-bit build, though I've never tried it.

VIPS would be OK for the scanner software. I've built painting
scanners which make 10 GB images using VIPS to do the automatic image
assembly, correction and calibration.