Confused by the contrast tool

Hi,

Last W-E, I discovered that the Value Curve is in fact applied independantly to each of the R, G & B channels. Pretty useless since using a non-linear Value Curve is going to change the HUE channel.

Today, I experimented with different tools and I found that the Contrast tool has a very unusual behavior.
I tried different tools (Krita, OpenOffice, Cinepaint) and they all handle the contrast the same way. Basically, reducing the contrast is like adding a grey mask to the image.

The Contrast tool in gimp is very different.
This is the original image:

http://www.chauveau-central.net/colors.png

This is what Cinepaint produces when I reduce the contrast. So far so good:

http://www.chauveau-central.net/colors-cinepaint.png

And this is what I get with Gimp:

http://www.chauveau-central.net/colors-gimp.png

What do you think?