Re: Re: [Gimp-user] 2.4 schedule estimate?

On Wednesday 18 January 2006 11:47 am, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > I don't know how far along this is in CVS but the last snap shot I
> > looked at, 2.3.6, still needed significant work to have usable color
> > management facilities.
>
> That is correct, it is far from being finished.
>
> > 1.  There is only limited support for embedded profiles.  Only png
> > files worked.  So tiff and jpeg users will have limited
> > functionality.
>
> IIRC, the support in the TIFF and JPEG plug-ins is as good or bad as
> in the PNG plug-in. What makes you think that only PNG would "work"?

Only that the change log only lists PNG as having the ability to load and save
embedded profiles.   Since the display filters don't use the embedded
profiles users have no way to know what it working and what is not with
regard to embedded profiles.  So I only have the change log to go by which
only lists PGN files and not TIFF or JPEG as being able to read and write
embedded profiles.

> > 2. Embedding profiles and doing color space conversions is not
> > supported.  So you must use an external application for this such as
> > lcms or ImageMagick
>
> This is definitely on the TODO.
>
> > 3. It is currently coded to use the default RGB profile as the
> > source profile for all images.  I don't know if this the case with
> > pgn files since it will "- load and save embedded ICC profiles
> > from/to PNG images".  But this does allow users of jpeg and tiff
> > images to use what is there.  You just have to manually set the
> > correct source profile for your image in the preferences dialog.
> > This is a little confusing if you don't know what is going on but
> > this is apparently for testing during development and this will not
> > be how this will work when this is released.
>
> This will change, the display filter modules cannot yet access any
> image properties so the embedded color profile is currently being
> ignored.

The display filter is probably the most difficult part of this to implement
and it is close as it only needs to start accessing the embedded profiles.

> > 4. There are no facilities to handle CM during the printing process.
>
> That's left to the print plug-ins but shouldn't be hard to add.

Even if this didn't make it into the print plug-in if #2 (above) is
implemented users will have a usable work around.