[Gimp-developer] help us on our project

hello sir/mam, we r students of final year engineering
studing in national institute of
engineering,mysore,karnataka,India.

sir we r doing a project on pattern recognition in
image processing.we have chosen linux as platform.we
came to know about GIMP and GIMP-PLUGINS.
sir we have some questions reguarding this
1>what r plugins & how can they be used in our
project?
2>where and how to write plugins to handle images and
extract pixel values after selecting a particular area
in an image, and how to compile and run them in GIMP?
can u plz help us about this sir.
3>how to compile a plugin and load a plugin?
4>how to write a plug-in to load an image into the
image viewer of gimp and access(pixel values) a
selected region
thank u sir/mam