Re: [Gimp-developer] a GEGL integration strategy

Hi everybody,

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Øyvind Kolås wrote:

> The suggestion of starting the integration process of GEGL into gimp
> with the paint tools came up on irc today.
>
> I have put some thought into the order such a conversion might happen in,
>
>   blend
>   pencil
> The order lists what I think is increasing level of complexity in usage
> of gegl for the tasks, such a multipurpose gegl tool can probably be
> implemented and coexist with the rest of the tools while the migration
> happens.

Please forgive me if this question is too basic, but I don't understand in
which way the paint tools are going to be implemented as GEGL ops.  Will
each stroke be a separate node in the graph, or will several strokes
be accumulated into one node? Or am I completely misunderstanding things
here? What will the graph look like after a stroke with the pencil tool?

What happens when you save an image into xcf2 (or whatever it will be)? Is
there a point where parts of the graph are flattened, or will all
manipulations that have ever been done to the image be replayed when the
image is loaded again?

(I have looked through the GEGL API docs and the GGGL pages so I think I
understand the graph and operation stuff, it's the integration with GIMP
I'm interested to hear more about.)

Thanks in advance
Robert