Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP and multiple processors

On 27.02.2005, at 17:19, <pcg@xxxxxxxx ( Marc) (A.) (Lehmann )> wrote:

As for your claim, dithering is completely invisible, try this image, which
is done with gimp's blend and no dithering:

http://data.plan9.de/d0.png

That image features quite visible banding effects - you will have banding
effects even if you go to 48 bit rgb, as the eye is very sensitive to
banding.

which has no banding effects, and is also much much bigger :)

I had to compare very hard to see a difference at all, at least it's not clearly visible and you've chosen a pretty extreme case... But okay, I now believe in the power of dithering gradients.... ;)

Servus,
      Daniel