Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP and multiple processors

On 27.02.2005, at 14:31, Sven Neumann wrote:

Dithering makes heavy use of GRand and as long as the random number
generator is shared between the threads... I wonder if it actually
makes sense to add the overhead of per-thread data initialization or
if we should rather replace the use of a random number generator with
a pre-calculated dither pattern. That would improve the
single-threaded case as well.

Since the randomness doesn't play a big role here (like in a security environment) I wonder if it wouldn't be easiest to employ a per-thread pseudo-RNG seeded with a different "random" number. One global RNG would be nice for this...

BTW: How often is gradient_fill_single_region_rgb being called?
Maybe we can simply make the RNG a local property of this and
the ..._gray function and be done with it; that of course
wouldn't make much sense if it ends up being called a million
times per fill...

Servus,
      Daniel