Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP fails to compile without C++ compiler?

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 01:56:16AM +0100, Daniel Egger wrote:
> On 27.02.2005, at 01:19, Sven Neumann wrote:
>
> >>just curious, is it expected that configuration of a GIMP
> >>build will fail if configure cannot find a C++ compiler?
>
> >That question would better be asked on the autoconf list. While you
> >are on it, ask them why there are checks for a fortran compiler. I
> >don't think we ask for any of those.
>
> It's a difference whether useless checks take place and are
> ignored or the compiler bails out on something that isn't
> needed at all. FWIW I haven't seen any other project using
> autoconf as well fail on this machine because there wasn't a
> C++ compiler installed so I assume that the GIMP (or maybe
> the GNOME stuff?) is doing something different or even wrong.

You're making a bad assumption then. Any app which uses libtool 1.5 has
this issue, as a trivial web search will reveal.

There's really nothing we can do, short of updating to a post 1.5
libtool when the libtool maintainers actually release one.

-Yosh