RE: [Gimp-developer] GIMP and multiple processors

Thanks for the clarification.

If each thread obtains an (exclusive) lock on the pixel region then the
tasks will effectively be serialized and overall execution time will
increase compared to a non-threaded implementation due to the threading
overheads. (Queue manipulation, thread creation and context switching, etc).

The main thread should lock the pixel region before pushing the tasks onto
the work.  Each task may then operate under the assumption that it has
exclusive access to its tile.  When the last task has completed the lock can
be released.

If this is already the case then please ignore as I have not had the
opportunity of yet to review the code.

-Dave