[Gimp-developer] floating layers

hello,

lately i am noticing a new thing about gimp behavior.

if i try to "New Layer" a floating layer that has been pasted onto a
mask, gimp refuses with an error message.

for my limited understanding of the reason for floating layers to still
exist, this behavior tells me that the need for them has gone.  if gimp
can tell the difference between a drawable or an image -- and it
obviously does, there is no need for this floating step.  also, since
you cannot see the layer while it is floating, there is no positioning
that can be done.

can floating layers go away now?  the arguments for them have ceased to
have meaning.

carol