Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP and multiple processors

Hi,

Daniel Egger <de@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 13.02.2005, at 22:10, Sven Neumann wrote:
>
>> I couldn't resist and spent some time on the threaded pixel-processor
>> code . The first part of the TODO I posted yesterday is done, the code
>> has been ported to gthread. This makes the thread functionality
>> available on all platforms supported by gthread-2.0.
>
> If you need someone to run benchmark tests, let me know.
> I've a dual-Opteron under my desk, a dual-G4 and a dual-G5
> at my disposal, a HT P4 machine in my near, and can easily
> fetch a dual-SPARC workstation oder some bigger irons if
> needed.

Doing benchmarks is exactly what would have to be done at this
point. The main problem is probably what to use as a benchmark.
One could write a script-fu and run that using batch-mode.

It would be interesting to have numbers that show the effect of the
"num-processors" gimprc option and it would be interesting to see how
the value of the TILES_PER_THREAD #define influences the performance.
So far I can only guess that the cost of thread creation is perhaps a
problem.

Sven