Re: [Gimp-developer] Some questions

Hi,

Jordi CantÃn <jordinitrox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>    You mean  /usr/share/color/icc and  ~/.color/icc ?
>    What about running Gimp on windows?

Color management on Windows would ideally be implemented using the
color management capabilities of the operating system. Same on Mac OS
X where ColorSync should be used. For now we will however concentrate
on the LCMS based implementation and of course we will make sure that
it works on all supported platforms.

>    I think that it could be useful if that user can add additional
>    profiles directories to the default ones. Think about advanced
>    users that could have a lot of specific profiles depending on the
>    situation.

Users will be able to load color profiles from whatever location they
wish. I don't think we need to provide a way to specify profile
directories. GIMP will remember the last location you loaded profiles
from and if you need to use multiple profile directories, it's easy to
add bookmarks for them.

This goes however way too much into details yet. We can figure out
such usability concerns as soon as the basic framework has been put in
place.

>    But I have checked that the "icc-profile" parasite can be recovered
>    from a Tiff file, but not from a jpg file. I assume that "icc-profile"
>    parasite can be stored in tiff, but not in jpg.

ICC profiles can be stored in TIFF files. The parasite is just the way
that GIMP deals with this information. I don't know off the top of my
head if JPEG allows to embed ICC profiles. Since I would rather get
back to work on the color management implementation, I kindly ask you
to look that up in the JPEG spec yourself.

http://developer.gimp.org/standards.html has some links that
you might find useful. If you know of any URLs that should be added
there, let me know.

Sven