Re: [Gimp-developer] Some questions

On Friday 11 February 2005 15:24, Jordi Cantón
wrote:/usr/local/share/Scribus/profiles
> I have a suggestion. I think that it will be useful if a new folder
list
> for ICC profiles could be also included in the preferences
dialog.  The
> default ones could be:
>
> $prefix/share/gimp/2.0/color
> $user/.gimp-2.3/color

I think it would be better if the color directories were not version or
app specific and also not hidden.  I know that both the OpenICC and
lcms-users list have talked about this at least in terms of a standard
for a system wide directory for color profiles.  This is also more of
a path kind of thing where profiles should be searched first in the
users color profile directory then the system directory.

Scribus uses  /usr/local/share/Scribus/profiles for it's system wide
profile directory.  I do not know where other open source apps that
have CM put their profiles.  These include CinePaint and
GraphicMagick.  If GIMP uses $prefix/share/gimp/2.0/color and every
other app has it's own location we will have created a mess.  In
particular version specific directories should be avoided.

Here is what was said on the lcms list in May 2004 by Bob Friesenhahn
<bfriesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> in response to a note by Stuart Nixon
<Stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> To get widespread usage of ICCs and CMS engines under Linux, we
> need a couple of things:
>
> 1.    A standard "system" profile directory. I believe
>       a directory has already been proposed although I can't find the
>       original email.

While it may be possible to establish a "standard" directory for
Linux, the solution should be OS-agnostic.  That means that the
"standard" shared directory should be relative to the software
installation prefix.  When installing on a proprietary OS, the base
installation prefix is likely not '/'.  The standard default for open
source apps is to install under '/usr/local' in order to avoid
accidentally corrupting the OS.  A path like
"${prefix}/share/cms/profiles" would be ideal.

The reason why I suggest that an XML configuration file be used
(similar to the way fonts are handled under Red Hat) is this allows
multiple applications to be configured via one common file.

> 3.    There should be a way to get the current monitor profile for
>       each display, so that applications can ask the system for this
>       profile and use it, rather than having to ask the user
>       for the profile name.  It should handle multiple displays

Yes.  This configuration should be supported both at the
system/network level and at the user level so that the user may
override or extend the defaults.

------------------ end of lcms list quote -----------------------

I think that it would be a good idea to try to get some of those on the
lcms list and the OpenICC list involved so that things that are done
on GIMP will at least be close to fitting into the eventual system
wide color management frame work.

In addition GIMP is used on Windows and Mac computers which already
have standard locations for the system color management directories.
In the case of the Mac I am making an assumption that this is the
case.  I am not a Mac user so I have no idea how this is structured on
a Mac.  But I do have significant CM experience on Windows.  So I can
help with this.

--
Hal V. Engel