Re: [Gimp-developer] CVS HEAD dependency on glib-2.6 / gtk+-2.6

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 11:17:09PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

> > You asked if going to 2.6 would cause a problem for them, and they
> > indicated it would.
>
> No, they didn't. They said that they have had problems updating gtk+
> in the past. So far noone has expressed any actual problems updating
> glib and gtk+ to version 2.6.

To get some details into the game - a while ago (just after 2.2 was
released), I tried upgrading to 2.6 (I thought that 2.6 was required,
but this doesn't matter here). I ended up with a system where

- gdm crashed (I was unable to get any useful error message - logging
  seems to be broken with regard to this, strace did not help)
- GIMP 2.2 crashed almost every time I opened the file selector with some
  strange pango message showing up (some assertion failed) - it seems
  that font handling has somehow changed (I did compile a new pango,
  but not a new freetype)
  I found an obscure way to prevent this crash, but I cannot remember
  anymore - it was not really stable either.
- OpenOffice stopped working with some unresolved symbol
  _XineramaIsActive

I straced a lot but got no real conclusion (apart from that the new file
selector opens a lot of files which probably kills performance on
networked file systems).

I can give it a try tomorrow and see whether I get some useful error
messages. (My earlier message to this list describing my problems has
somehow been ignored, there might be some details in there.)

Bye, Tino.