Re: [Gimp-developer] jpeg-exif development summary

   Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:32:15 -0800
   From: "William Skaggs" <weskaggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

   Hi Raphael, glad to hear from you.

   > Although I am a bit late to the party, here are my 2 cents: I
   > think that the jpeg plug-in should automatically rotate the image
   > when opening it without marking it as "dirty".  The default
   > setting should be to do that automatically without asking, both
   > for interactive and non-interactive mode.  Let me try to explain
   > why...

   In an ideal world I agree that this would be the right answer.
   What concerns me is that in this less-than-ideal world, many people
   are likely to have images with incorrect exif data, including
   anybody who edited a rotated exif jpeg in GIMP 2.0 or 2.2 and then
   resaved it as jpeg.  It's hard to get a fix on how large a
   population this is, but I bet if we impose a solution on them that
   rotates their images without giving them any way to prevent it,
   we'll be subjecting ourselves to some angry bug reports.

Won't they have (already be having) exactly the same problem with any
other EXIF-aware viewer or editor?

Raphael's proposal sounds right on the money to me.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@xxxxxxxxxxxx

--Eric Crampton