[Gimp-developer] "Improved" rect select tool

Hi,

  I have been working on a new rectangle-select tool to meet some
of the deficiencies of the existing one, and would like to commit
what I have to cvs if it is okay.

  Here is an overview of what I have currently:

  The "New Rect Select" is implemented as a separate tool, which
does not conflict with the existing rect-select tool and would not
replace it until everybody is satisfied with it.  The source code
is based on the crop tool, and in many ways resembles it, although
there are important differences.

  The tool options have two new entries, toggles for "Adjustable"
and "Show dialog".

  If "Adjustable" is checked, then the shape of the rectangle can
be modified after it has been drawn, by moving the corners in the
same way that works for the crop tool.  Once it is satisfactory,
clicking inside the rectangle converts it into a selection.  Clicking
outside the rectangle cancels the tool.

  If "Adjustable" is not checked, then the rectangle is converted
to a selection as soon as the mouse button is released.  (That is, it
behaves like the existing rect-select.)

  If "Show dialog" is checked, then a dialog closely resembling the
crop tool dialog is shown whenever the tool is working, allowing
values to be entered using the keyboard, and also containing
buttons labeled "From selection" and "Auto shrink".  (The "From
selection" button creates a rectangle to fit the bounds of the
existing selection.)

  I have not yet implemented any keybindings.  I have ideas about
how they should work, but since this is likely to be the most
controversial question, I thought it might be best to leave it
open for the moment.

  As always, everything is open to change, and nothing is written
in stone, and all feedback is welcome.

Best,
  -- Bill

Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu