Re: [Gimp-developer] jpeg-exif development summary

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, William Skaggs wrote:

> Date: Wed,  5 Jan 2005 07:47:10 -0800
> From: William Skaggs <weskaggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Cc: @mail.primate.ucdavis.edu
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] jpeg-exif development summary
>

> Robert Krawitz wrote:
> >   4) When the exif specifies that an image is rotated, the plug-in
> >      pops up a query asking the user whether to rotate it into
> >      standard alignment.  I thought it was better to ask rather than
> >      do it automatically, because there are probably a substantial
> >      number of existing images that have been edited without having
> >      their exif information properly updated (for example, by earlier
> >      versions of GIMP).  When an image is saved with exif, the
> >      orientation is set to "top-left", as the exif specifications
> >      require.  (See bug #121810)
> >
> > I'd suggest making this a preference.  If someone's careful about
> > maintaining their images (or hasn't edited them before), they'll get
> > very annoyed by having to answer this question every time they open an
> > EXIF file that's rotated.  Wouldn't earlier versions of the GIMP have
> > destroyed the EXIF data?
>
> That would be a reasonable thing to do:  "Rotate images if exif says so?:
> _Always _Never _Ask each time."  But we have a high threshold nowadays
> for adding new preferences, so this is something that probably won't
> happen until it's clear that a lot of people want it.

I hope you will consider that the simplest thing to do is to follow the
specification and try to do things in such a way that in the long run
there should be no need for a prompt or a preference?  I do realise
thatrotating the view without rotating the image itself is making things
complicated but perhaps it would be possible to have the importer take
care of the rotation and the exporter rotating back as needed, and still
preserving all EXIF metadata?

- Alan H.