Re: [Gimp-developer] comparing gimp speed

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 04:49:03PM +0530, Laxminarayan Kamath wrote:
> What about making gimp do a benchmaking on the machine and then let it
> automatically decide what method 2 use for that swapping/ tiling
> stuff.. < Hey, now dont beat me. I confess i actually know none of the
> stuff>

Unfortunately, this is not practical because:

a) you don't want to beat the machine for several minutes just to figure
such things out
b) you don't know the usual workload of the machine. It may be a single
user machine (BTW tomorrow it'll get a memory upgrade) or a multi user
machine where currently no one is working or maybe 10 people are
computing like hell
c) I/O intensive stuff may be running (user is burning CD, updatedb
from locate is running, virus scanner runs or the machine is busy
copying a DVD full of video or imagery)
d) Linux kernel is upgraded tomorrow which has got a totally new VM
(which is not very unlikely ;-> )

... add you own

Bye, Tino.