Re: [Gimp-developer] comparing gimp speed

On 12.11.2004, at 01:13, Steve Stavropoulos wrote:

 If the OS has better virtual memory than what available to gimp, then
you would want to use that one. In Linux, I think in most cases, you
would want to use the (often in multiple disks) swap partitions/files
available to the OS.

GIMP does tile swapping by hand, so if you hit the limits you'll get a lot of files in the .gimp directory of your homedirectory or whatever you set the swap area to.

I once tried to modify this to have the tile cache use mmap memory
with file backing to truly let the OS decide where to put the tiles
(memory or file), however this was a really sad performer so I
ditched the code.

I wonder whether photoshop works with tiles at all or simply uses
a linear memory segment and let the OS do the rest.

It would be really cool if the pixel data addressing was pluggable so
one could easily write a different storage backend. On top of my head
there would be several schemes I'd like to try:
- A simple linear memory segment with COW for new layers
- dito but with RLE compression (and thus more complex addressing)
- Line based addressing with COW and aliasing for duplicate lines,
  with LUT for each line
- Planar memory segments (Shoot now! ;))

I don't know what GEGL will buy us exactly because we certainly
need a change from "store those 32bit RGBA values" to something
more variable but IIRC GEGL is only about pixel composition, not
storage.

Servus,
      Daniel