Re: [Gimp-developer] Selection to brush/pattern/whatever in menus...

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, David Neary wrote:

> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:36:18 +0100
> From: David Neary <dneary@xxxxxxx>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Selection to brush/pattern/whatever in
>     menus...
>
> Hi,
>
> Alan Horkan wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, David Neary wrote:
> > > It should also (IMHO) work on images and not just drawables,
> > > proposing a flatten if necessary. Every time I have used
> > > selection to brush so far, the selection was created with "select
> > > all".
> >
> > I'd rather not add a flatten option (or 'work on copy'), I think it is
> > better to use the built in functionality where possible rather than
> > complicating each script.  Image Duplicate and Flatten Image work well and
> > they both deserve shortcuts (I dont recall what the defaults are if any as
> > I mostly use the Photoshop shortcuts).
>
> I meant as an export operation. In general, if you pass a file to
> a save operation that it doesn't support, it proposes an export
> operation to convert to a format supported (like saving an RGB
> image as gif, for example). I'm not sure how that's done, but I
> imagine that it's mostly in the core.

Apologies.
That makes a lot more sense.

However in gimp 2.0 if you use File, 'Save as', then choose Gimp
Brush (.gbr) and if your image contains multiple layers you are already
asked to Export and advised to flatten the image.
Perhaps I'm still misunderstanding you.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/