Re: [Gimp-developer] Selection to brush/pattern/whatever in menus...

just to clarify - i'm here contributing from the point of view of a professional graphic designer, considering the mainstream Adobe/Macromedia market who would have never used GIMP, and how we can 'convert them over' <gets off evangelistic soapbox/>. This market are of the 'pick it up and use it' intuitive designers - they will reject at sight anything that requires coding, or obscure menus.

testing this morning the latest version i found it incredibly difficult just to apply a drop-shadow to text or objects - which is an absolute essential. i can't understand why this is hidden in Script-Fu - then once you try to make a selection it has to run through all of them - i'm testing on Win XP as the majority of users will be Windows or Mac - will test on GNU/Linux once i have the disk space. that has issues of its own - graphic designers cannot compile. nor do they understand libraries (Sodipodi failed on me this morning because of a missing dll, and a designer without experience of code (i have some limited experience) would have no idea how to correct this.

the Script-Fu dialog comes up behind the image, instead of in the regular toolbox - which makes it impossible to find - for quite a while i thought the effect wasnt going to happen at all. after that i had the strange experience of hitting cancel a million times to find the selection I wanted.

Layers and layer effects are working very nicely though and are intuitive.

On the whole, I'm finding it much easier to use than before - my comments may seem harsh but have to be seen in context from my first humble appearance on the list - i'm kinda bug-testing from a professional designer's point of view.

Also - anyone have an address for the Inkscape-devel and Sodipodi-devel lists? I've been trying to test these and contribute also but havent found the lists yet. Inkscape is impressive, but could do with some 'eye candy' - thats another important factor for designers, we're competing with the Windows and Mac toolkits, and frankly GTK looks pretty darn strange and ugly to a designer - it'll put them off using a really good tool. Inkscape on the whole did what i wanted when i learnt how it 'thought', but wouldnt open and reopen from Illustrator. I'd very much like to report these experiences to their list and see how they are tackling them. Sodipodi... sorry, its still unfathomable even when I had it running on Win ME....

Best,

Miriam.

Jakub Friedl (lists) wrote:

Script-Fu is totally incomprehensible to graphic designers....

it depends. i am a fluent script-fu speaker for example.