Re: [Gimp-developer] fonts

Hi,

"William Skaggs" <weskaggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>   I would like to add some information about fonts to gimp-help-2,

You have read http://gimp.org/unix/fonts.html, haven't you?

I would also suggest not to duplicate that information in gimp-help-2
but simply to link to this page. If there's info missing, it should
probably be added there.

> Here is what I know: In Linux, you can add a Truetype or Freetype
> font by putting it in your ~/.fonts directory or your
> .gimp-2.0/fonts directory.

I am sorry, but what is a FreeType font? You probably mean OpenType?!

> Here is what I would like to know:
>
> 1) Can you use other types of fonts in GIMP?  Are there any types
> for which special things need to be done?

You can use any font that FreeType2 can handle. By default, FreeType2
supports the following font formats:

    * TrueType fonts (and collections)
    * Type 1 fonts
    * CID-keyed Type 1 fonts
    * CFF fonts
    * OpenType fonts (both TrueType and CFF variants)
    * SFNT-based bitmap fonts
    * X11 PCF fonts
    * Windows FNT fonts
    * BDF fonts (including anti-aliased ones)
    * PFR fonts
    * Type42 fonts (limited support)

(see http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/index.html#features).

> 3) How do you add fonts in Windows, and what types of fonts can GIMP
> use there?

The same code is used to render fonts on Windows so the same
information applies here. Actually we should move
http://gimp.org/unix/fonts.html out of the unix directory.

> 4) If you want to create special characters (i.e., non-ascii) with
> the Text tool, what is the right (and/or easiest) way to do it?

Use a character picker tool like gucharmap. gucharmap can also install
a GTK+ input module so it is directly available from the right-click
menu in the GIMP text editor.

Sven