[Gimp-developer] Layers, Channels and Drawables

Hi

I am a relatively new user of the GIMP and am experimenting with writing my
own plug-ins.  I am still having trouble working out when it is most
appropriate to use layers and when to use channels.  I understand that
channels are to do with RGBA values, but I have discovered that sometimes it
is better to add the results of my image manipulation as a new channel
rather than as a new layer. Any successess I've had so far have been due to
experimentation so far though. Can anybody point me to some documentation that explain
the differences between the various drawables comprehensively?
Thank you for any help!

Cathy.