Re: [Gimp-developer] Colour management - who can do what?

   Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 19:34:41 +0100
   From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <blackfive@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

   > It would *really* be helpful to plug this into the Print plugin, if
   > not Gimp-Print itself, so that when the GIMP feeds 8 bit values to the
   > plugin these values are reprocessed into 16 bit values, rather than 8
   > bit ones.

   This should be a fairly trivial change once we have the
   infrastructure to get the current working profile and/or the
   image's profile into plugins in general.

   The print plugin would itself need to link against lcms, and it
   would simply fetch the current working profile (or the image's own
   profile if there is one), and create a transform from 8-bit data in
   the source profile to 16-bit data in the destination profile.

   The sticking point would be the destination profile - the user
   would need one that accurately describes gimp-print's
   characteristics!  We could of course just use sRGB (which lcms has
   built-in) as a default.

I'd really like to figure out the right thing for Gimp-Print to do
here, and then apply the profile inside Gimp-Print.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@xxxxxxxxxxxx

--Eric Crampton