Re: [Gimp-developer] preparing GIMP 2.2

Hi,

Nathan Carl Summers wrote:

I can't honestly think of a good reason to disable color management, but
couldn't we just have an option for "this monitor's colorspace" instead of
having two choice to choose from?

Colour management is in two distinct parts - display and loading/saving. The option I'm talking about here would simply turn off the display filter, which will increase redraw speed, and perhaps save a little memory.

I'm not sure I quite understand your other point - are you saying we should forget about having a "working space" and just use the monitor's colour space directly? I can see some appeal to the simplicity of this idea. Pros and cons I can think of are:

Pros:
* The need for a display filter is eliminated (except for soft-proofing)

Cons:
* Images saved in non-CMS aware formats (BMP, PCX, JPG) will be assumed by CMS aware software to be in sRGB - which would look awful for images that are in fact in the colour space of, for example, my laptop's screen!

* The effect of certain plugins will be unpredictable. One of the goals of colour management is that things like GFlare or other plugins that render graphics will be consistent across hardware if we use a standardised working space. We lose this advantage if we don't use a working space.

* Images have to be converted into the Monitor's colour space on loading, which means a destructive change to the data. If I'm working on images I've scanned, I'll want to set the working space to the profile of my scanner (even if I have to go to the preferences to do it, I'll do this rather than convert the data to sRGB or the monitor's colour space).

I think the cons of this approach outweight the pros, but working this way would be possible if one were to disable the display filter, and set the working space to the monitor's profile.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson