Re: [Gimp-developer] filetype plug-in to get type of entity (file/directory)

Greetings, Markus.

At 05:05 PM 07/22/2004, you wrote:
I was not aware of all the useful
extensions you are incorporating into Tiny-Fu.

There are only two extensions for the TinyScheme interpreter I'm using them both since they each add something useful for scripts. I have used the extensions to create a script that creates contact sheets. Just point it at a directory and it will create as many 1024x768 image sheets as are needed to show all images in the directory. Each image sheet will hold up to 36 images each.

By the way: I favour the current convention (used throughout GIMP scripts) of
parenthesizing [for example, instead of:
[example snipped]
I write:
[example snipped]
because it has become the de-facto standard for Scheme (also used in
TinyScheme's "init.scm", in Emacs etc.) and it is recommended in all books
and tutorials I could find in print and on the web, so apart from the fact
that I use this style habitually by now, maybe sticking to it will help both
newcomers (being accustomed to the style from the tutorials) and professional
Lisp coders (having seen more braces, so to speak) to follow the code.

We will have to agree to disagree about the formatting of Scheme code.

I would not treat the method used to format code as shown in a book as THE recommended guideline for how code should be formatted. Not unless they come right out and say "thou shalt format thy code thusly". :-) Books format code to save space and paper. I first learned C from K&R and I just copied their style until I became aware of a better way to format my code. I am formatting the Scheme code in a way that befits the language it is. In C, you don't put all the closing braces on one line so I don't see why a script written in Scheme should do the same with the closing parenthesis.

I was aware of LISP from some articles in early issues of BYTE magazine. I was never taught LISP or Scheme in any classes. My first experience with Scheme was with the scripts for Script-Fu. I could make some simple changes but sometimes after copying/moving a line or two, I would get problems with loops or complaints about the <expletive deleted> brackets not matching up.

I'm formatting the scripts which come with Tiny-Fu in a way that should make it much easier for someone totally new to Scheme to see and learn the syntax of the language. Something I wish had been done to the scripts I first looked at. To someone who already knows LISP or Scheme the format won't affect them as they already know the basic syntax and placement of brackets.

Cheers!

Packet:ve3syb@ve3yra.#con.on.ca.na|  Try to assimilate the world!"