Re: [Gimp-developer] Howto: store comments in image from plugin?

hello,
On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 03:51:10PM +1200, Joseph Heled wrote:
> (I hope this is the appropriate forum ...)

((this should be a fine forum for these questions))

> I would like to "attach" to the image some of the parameters of the
> conversion.
> I am not sure ,
>   - How do I add this info to the image (I open it with gimp_image_new(...)
>   )
when you save the image, there is a comment parameter for the file
formats which have comments.

>   - Which file formats support this kind of comment/data?

png and jpeg.  <Toolbox>/Xtns/DB Browser will be useful to you.  there
are other parameters than comments to worry about while scripting
TheGIMP.

also, the png comments were only recently added so use file-save-png2.

i have a script that writes a text file to each image and also writes
the image number and location on my computer of each image.  handy
stuff.  back in the old days, we used to have to mark each image by
hand and wait for the ink to dry before moving onto the next image.

there might be other formats.  i recommend png as it is a lossless
format and really nice and free.

good luch and happy gimping,

carol