Re: [Gimp-developer] color management

 > I am afraid that this is not possible simply because the color
 > selector is not associated with an image. All we can do is to correct
 > the color selector using the monitor profile.

You mean that the colour selector would implicitly always be sRGB? I'm
afraid that's not a good idea.

Assume GIMP uses Sven's original idea (i.e. Alastair's preferred
method) where images keep their original colour space. Say a user is
working on an image in some colour space with a much larger gamut than
sRGB. If the colour selector allows only sRGB colours to be selected,
the "most blue" colours he can select have the B value 255.  When
converted to the image's wide-gamut colour space, the colour will have
significantly less B value. There won't be any way to select the
colours that are out of the colour selector's sRGB gamut.

I don't know what the solution is. Maybe some way to (temporarily)
associate an invokation of the colour selector with a specific image?
An entry in the <Image> menu "Select colour in image's colour space"?
What does Potatoshop do?

--tml