Re: [Gimp-developer] Image cut-n-paste; Mac clipboard plugin

Hi,

Brion Vibber <brion@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> After a lot of recompiling, I've managed to get 2.1 running from
> CVS. It seems to be doing _something_ with the clipboard, but I
> haven't yet gotten anything resembling an image out of it. Is there
> any X11-based program known to interoperate with it that I could test
> with to make sure it's working?

The easiest way to test is to use a second instance of GIMP. Another
application that is known to work is the word-processor Abiword.

Here are some links that explain how the X clipboard is supposed to
be used:

  http://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/
  http://www.jwz.org/doc/x-cut-and-paste.html
  http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/clipboards-spec/clipboards.txt

GIMP passes image data in the PNG format and announces it using the
"image/png" mimetype identifier.

> Either Gimp or GTK+ could be hacked up to use the Mac clipboard
> directly, I suppose. Any opinions on what's the correct place to do
> this?

It definitely belongs into GTK+ in the long run. Perhaps it would be
good to start a GDK backend for MacOS X that is based on the GDK-X11
backend but deals with clipboard and other interoperability issues.

Sven