Re: [Gimp-developer] Read/write plugin

On Sunday 04 July 2004 21:23, Soren Hauberg wrote:
> Hi everybody
> This is my first post to this list, so please be gentle :-)
> I'm a student of computer science at the University of Copenhagen (DIKU)
> working mostly with image processing. At DIKU we have a rather old image
> C library and hence quite a bit images stored in the image format used
> in this library.
> I'd like to be able to read and write this kind of images in gimp, but
> how do I get started?
> I guess I have to write a plugin but the docs a rather outdated (at
> least the ones I can find). Any hints on how to get started would be
> appreciated.

Well, first you should probably take a look at the source of existing plug-ins
for image input and output. For example, you can find the Windows BMP
Read/Write plugin under "plug-ins/bmp" (starting from the GIMP distribution
or CVS tree). BMP is a relatively simple format and the code of its plug-in
should be easy to understand. Other formats' read/write plug-ins can be found
under "plug-ins/common" and somewhere under "plug-ins".

If there's an API function that you don't understand you can look at its
description in the header files and source code under "libgimp/",
"libgimpbase", etc. grep is your friend.

Note that I haven't done too much GIMP developments, and there are other
people here who can give you more expert advice. This advice is just off the
top of my head.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish