Re: [Gimp-developer] questions about gimp2 dependencies

Hi,

Carol Spears <carol@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> debian sid has given me some broken g* things.  i was playing
> dselect games to try to get things to install correctly.
>
> at one point, i attempted to install the gtk2 stuff i needed by
> requesting gimp2.  this is the listing that prompted these questions
> and i understand that it could be debian specific answers.

I guess you requested "gimp" since that's the name of the debian
package that holds gimp-2.0 (at the moment).

> asking dselect gave me a dependency list that was astounding
> compared to what i need to build the gimp from the cvs sources.

The debian package includes basically all plug-ins that we ship in the
standard gimp tarball. For that reason it depends on a number of
libraries that are optional when you are compiling from source.

> all of that libgail and sax stuff is to build the docs?  is that the
> only way for the documentation to work for special devises and the
> other accessibily issues?

No, there are no dependencies on tools to build docs. Building docs is
part of the build process and a binary debian packages has runtime
dependencies only.

So, let's examine where the dependencies come from. Here's the list of
dependencies (obtained using apt-cache showpkg gimp):

 wget
 aalib1
 libart-2.0-2
 libatk1.0-0
 libbz2-1.0
 libc6
 libexif9
 libexpat1
 libfontconfig1
 libfreetype6
 libgail-common
 libgail17
 libgimp2.0
 libgimpprint1
 libglib2.0-0
 libgnomecanvas2-0
 libgsf-1
 libgtk2.0-0
 libgtkhtml2-0
 libice6
 libjpeg62
 liblcms1
 libmng1
 libncurses5
 libpango1.0-0
 libpng12-0
 librsvg2-2
 libsm6
 libtiff3g
 libwmf0.2-7
 libx11-6
 libxml2
 libxmu6
 libxpm4
 libxt6
 slang1
 zlib1g

And here's an attempt to break this up into dependencies of the core
and plug-in dependencies:

Dependencies of the GIMP w/o any modules or plug-ins:

 libc6
 libart-2.0-2
 libglib2.0-0
 libgtk2.0-0
     libatk1.0-0
 libpango1.0-0
 libfontconfig1
     libexpat1
 libfreetype6

Some other dependencies with associated plug-ins. Dependencies that
are already required by the GIMP core have been omitted:

AA plug-in:

 aalib1
     libncurses5
     slang1

Print plug-in:

 libgimpprint1

Helpbrowser plug-in:

 libgtkhtml2-0
     libgnomecanvas2-0
         libgail-common
         libgail17
     libxml2

SVG plug-in:

 librsvg2-2
 libxml2
 libgsf-1

I don't think I need to explain that the png plug-in needs libpng and
so forth...

If the debian gimp packages was split into smaller packages, some of
this dependency nitemare could be avoided. But it would of course add
some extra work for the package maintainers and I am not sure if it
would be worth the hassle. Especially since most people already have
most of these packages installed because they are needed by lots of
other packages.

Anyway, I hope my little dependency charts helped to clear things up a
bit. I am sure the dependencies could have been illustrated better,
for example like this PDF that shows the (slightly broken)
dependencies of gimp2 in darwinports:

 http://www.opendarwin.org/~mww/dependencies/pdf/gimp2.pdf

Sven