[Gimp-developer] Re: [Gimp-print-devel] static libgimpprintui

   From: Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx>
   Date: 25 May 2004 11:19:10 +0200

   your post (and other mails on the gimp-print-devel list) make me
   believe that there isn't much hope for a stable gimp-print API to
   appear during the next weeks. Is that right? This means that we
   have to change our plan to ship gimp-2.2 with an updated print
   plug-in.  It also means that we need to apply the latest user
   interface changes to the print plug-in also. So far we haven't
   touched it since it was scheduled for replacement.

The core API's pretty close, but we're probably not quite ready to go
beta.  However, we're not that far off, either.  What's your plan for
2.2?

   This also brings up a problematic point about libgimprint-gtk2.
   Such a library that includes the complete GUI will make it
   impossible for us to have a print plug-in with a user interface
   that is consistent with the rest of the GIMP UI. Of course you
   could adapt our user interface guidelines (which are basically the
   HIG with some twists) but we could always change our mind on this
   with the next GIMP release (just like we just did, GIMP-2.2 will
   look different than GIMP-2.0). Also other projects using this
   library might have other ideas about the look and feel. So you
   can't possibly get it right for everyone unless you use lots of
   style properties to make every aspect of the GUI themable.

Good point.  I hadn't thought about that aspect of it; I was looking
at it from the Gimp-Print side.

   Perhaps it would be better to not have the actual user interface in
   a gimpprint library. If you want to make it easy to write a GTK2
   GUI on top of libgimpprint, then you could provide a model on top
   of libgimpprint that people can easily write a view for. This
   library could provides GtkListStores for any selection the user
   needs to make, it could provide a preview widget to position the
   image on the paper.  Basically it would just nicely wrap the
   libgimpprint API and make it more GTK+ friendly.

That would be a possibility.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@xxxxxxxxxxxx