Re: [Gimp-developer] scale image/layer UI analysis

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 06:26:16AM +0200, Jakub Steiner wrote:

> * The ratio control has been dropped, since it effectively duplicates the % unit.

I think there should be fields for the aspect ratio (not starting on 1x1 but
actual values).

> * Print resolution has been removed (discussed at task 6 below)

For me, changing print resolution is an integral part of scaling.
Say you have a scanned image and need to scale it down for a layout.
Print resolution would go up without intervention. Being able to
restrict it to the highest value that makes sense in one go
would be a good thing.

The problem I have with the current dialog, or that of PS, is that
it's hard to understand what will change, when you enter a value
somewhere.

I think a solution might be to split things up into 3 areas:
- Current values (just output, not editable)
- Target values. Start with empty fields. The user can add target
values until everything can be determined (left input fields
will be disabled). Because all possible tasks are realy about
defining target values, and having feedback about what else
will change and how (see next one).
- Final values (not editable). The consequences of initilal
values and target values.

The values are:
- pixel or % width and height
- print width and height
- resolution
- aspect ratio (important for artistic work, giving a work a nice
shape)

Oh, and finaly Quality/Interpolation should be in the dialog,
because it's something to decide on per image.

---
Thorsten Wilms