[Gimp-developer] Image Parasite Browser plug-in

Hi,

  This is an announcement that I've placed in the Gimp PlugIn
Registry a plug-in for viewing and interacting with image
parasites.  It can be found in the 2.0 category, under the
name "meta-data".  I have only tested it in Linux.  There is
no obvious reason why it should fail to work in other OS's,
but no guarantees either.

  Here is a brief excerpt from the README file:

 === What is it? ===

This is the first release of a plug-in that lets you interact with Gimp image
attachments (often known as "parasites").  You can list them, view the contents
of any that contain text, create new ones, delete or edit the contents of
existing ones, load one from a file, or write one to a file.

 === What is it good for? ===

Currently the Gimp is not very strong in its handling of meta-data:
the main purpose of this plug-in is to encourage it to get stronger by
making the meta-data visible and accessible to the user.

Even so, there are a couple of things you can already do with it.

1) The attachment named "gimp-comment" is saved by several file
   formats as an image description.  You can alter this by
   editing it.

2) You can attach notes or comments to the image that will be
   preserved if you save the image in XCF format.

3) It might be possible to attach a color profile to an image and have
   it included when you save a TIFF file -- I haven't been able to
   test this, though, so don't get excited yet.

You cannot use this plug-in to work with EXIF data, unfortunately:  it
is stored in a binary format that requires special handling.

Any feedback would be appreciated.  I will be traveling for most
of the next two weeks, though, and will not be able to respond until
I get back.

Best,
  -- Bill

Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu