Re: [Gimp-developer] The issue of JPEG Patents?

On Saturday 24 April 2004 19:58, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > I was thinking that Jpeg support might have to be preemptively
> > removed like Gif support was removed.  (Although the Gif patents
> > have expired in America and will expire in Europe in June)
>
> When was GIF support removed and why didn't I notice?

Some Linux distributions, as well as popular windows binary packages
come out without the GIF plug-in. It is usually downloadable as a
separate plug-in with a note for the patent issues.

This can be a major PITA sometimes (you need to do GIF, and just find
out the live Linux CD with GIMP on it is lacking the gif plug-in for
example)