Re: [Gimp-developer] what's wrong about this list [was: Gimp 2.0]

   From: Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx>
   Date: 23 Apr 2004 13:10:00 +0200

   Raphaël Quinet <quinet@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

   > Currently, I think that having a look at the ChangeLog is the
   > best way (although cumbersome) to figure out who is working on
   > what.  Maybe we could make this easier by processing the
   > ChangeLog automatically, analyzing who is working on what and
   > publishing a list of the top contributors to each part of the
   > code in the last N months (e.g., stats per directory in the
   > source tree).  That would not be perfect, but maybe it would be
   > better than what we have now because this would be updated
   > automatically.  Some time ago, I wrote a script that parses the
   > GIMP ChangeLog files and tries to figure out who are the most
   > active developers.  Maybe I should try to hack it a bit more.

   That sounds like something that should be done using the CVS
   information, not by parsing the ChangeLog. Perhaps have a look at
   statcvs, a CVS Repository statistic analysis tool.

I have a script that I use to auto-generate a change log from a CVS
repository that's used to generate the Gimp-Print change log.  It
coalesces multiple commits close in time that have the same log
message and handles branches correctly (i. e. if the sandbox being
used is on a branch, it logs all versions leading up to the branch).
I can post it if anyone likes, or it can be extracted from the
Gimp-Print source as scripts/mkchlog.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@xxxxxxxxxxxx