Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: Gimp 2.0

hi, i was offline for the whole thread.  also, i have only read through
half of it.  i was delighted when dave neary shared this tutorial with
me and was willing to put it online.  so often, there is so much trouble
because people do not see this world to be as wonderful and nice in the
same ways i do.

i dont know if it is the software or that i wasnt taught enough about
the harm that can come to people or that i am unable to imagine it until
someone clearly explains it to me -- but sometimes i see different
things than everyone else does.

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 02:33:35PM +0200, Dave Neary wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
>
> I'm forwarding your mail to the developers list for two reasons.
>
> First, it's a major problem that people feel obliged to mail people
> off-list because they are "safe" to talk to and this is something that we
> need to talk about urgently. For the benefit of the people on the list,
> this is not the first time this has happened. It seems like I get mail from
> people weekly from people who have valid points to raise, but are
> intimidated by the list.

i was intimidated by this list.  i was intimidated by the talent and my
heros and the very eloquent writing skills and ways of all the different
educational and locational backgrounds.

i was afraid that i would offend them or make an idiot of myself or
well, the list goes on.  i wrote anyways and fullfilled most of these
fears.

i dont blame people for being intimidated.

bolsh should have remained intimidated for longer as well (just my
opinion).

> Markus Triska wrote:
>
> >Dear Dave!
> >
> >First, let me explain my greatest thanks and admiration for Gimp 2.0. You
> >all did a great job.
> >
> >I'm writing you because from following the mailing list I got the
> >impression that you are someone that I can contact "safely" with my issues:
> >
> >I have beein playing around with Gimp for some time now, and one procedure
> >I apply every once in a while is to make a copy of each visible layer and
> >merge them to a new one (as a means comparable to "CVS tagging" - to mark
> >and save a stage of development). In fact, I have beein wondering why this
> >is not an option in the layer context menu (like "copy visible and merge
> >those") - is there maybe a better way to do this? I use it also when I
> >need a filter to operater on the whole picture ("all layers").

this is a three step event for me.  as you can read from the other
thread, there have been several different ways to do this and it moves
around often in the menus.

try this:
<Image> -->Image -->Merge Visible [ok]
<Image> -->Edit -->Copy
<Image> -->Edit -->Undo
<Image> -->Edit -->Paste

okay, a few more than three steps, but this has not failed to work since
gimp-1.0 and the options have never moved.

> >Also, I find the picture of the wet baby in the "Screen Shots" section
> >rather annoying. I mean, it's not the baby's fault, but I think that with
> >all the stuff going on in Europe (Dutroux), placing a half-naked kid with
> >amateur lightning in this section is not a matter of particularly good
> >taste. Maybe it would be good to show more neutral photographs, like skies
> >and landscapes etc. that are bright and where's much to look at.
>
> The baby is my son, I didn't think of any negative connotations, but indeed
> I wasn't thinking "that way". Given your comments and the way you saw it, I
> will take them down. I'm not sure where screenshot submissions should go
> though - perhaps someone else will pipe up with ideas about that?

what i saw when i saw the photo of this baby was a dork who had a good
relationship with a beautiful woman.  those are the images i saw and the
man i came to know while working on gimp development.

now, if i dont google for a scandalous news item that well, i try to
fill my time learning about computers and art and history and science
and other productive things that i have no time left for these scandals
that depress me and cause me to lose touch of the good things that are
around me -- if i dont read about the tragedy cited here, i my
imagination will run through all the things that i *did not see* when i
was delighted to get this photo that was the product of a lovely
relationship.

and something went wrong, because my intentions were to show poor shy
volunteer developers that they might have a nice relationship with a
beautiful woman that produces a beautiful child like the one i watched
bolsh have.

so if dorks having productive relationships with beautiful women is too
much for the world -- i dunno what to do.

if my honesty about what i saw in this image becomes something that
raises the value of that image -- well, this is a screwed up goofy world
and i will never get it.

sorry if i have been scary or offensive.  i have even scared and
offended myself this last year.  so we can have a mutual scared and
offended pity party ....

carol