Re: [Gimp-developer] plug-in observations/questions

On Apr 06 Sven Neumann (sven@xxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Steve Lipa <slipa@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > First, the gimp-plugin-template is set up to
> > use a static gimp-help.xml file that always points
> > to a web address:
> >
> > <?xml version="1.0"?>
> > <gimp-help xmlns:template="http://developer.gimp.org/plug-in-template/help";>
> >   <help-item template:id="plug-in-template" ref="index.html" />
> > </gimp-help>
>
> This is a misunderstanding. The URL given there is just a unique
> identifier of the XML namespace declaration for "template:". There
> doesn't need to be any page pointed to by this URL. Please read up on
> XML namespaces if you want to understand this better or just ask again
> here.
>
> I have posted detailed explanations of the help system earlier on this
> list. Perhaps we should pull these out of the archives and put them
> online on developer.gimp.org.

Sven:

Trust me, I have tried to figure this out by reading through the old
archives but I haven't been able to find anything that applies.  This
problem is exacerbated by the fact that the gimp-devel search engine
gives me nothing by error messages about not being able to find a
.htaccess file or some such, so it is hard to search effectively.

I have found by trial and error that if I don't have this xmlns:etc
line pointing to the directory that the documentation is in, the help
system simply does not work for me.  The approach I am using is the
only one that I have been able to get to work.

I think most plug-ins will be like mine, in that they will have
built-in documentation, so it might make sense for the
gimp-plugin-template to have an example of how to do it right.
Failing that, I was hoping to do my plug-in right so people could
use it as an example.   The other plug-ins I've looked at so far
simply have not been any help.

> The latter won't work if GIMP is not installed in the same prefix and
> I don't understand your problem with the first approach. You cannot
> simply install GIMP plug-ins somewhere, they need to go into the GIMP
> plug-in dir which is determined from the gimp-2.0.pc file. What is
> probably missing here is the addition of $(DESTDIR). I will consider
> to add that.
>

> Sven

In the good old days, users could install plug-ins in ~/.gimp-x.x/plug-ins.
Up until very recently, gimp-plugin-template (effectively) put plug-ins in
${prefix}/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins.   The latest CVS version doesn't. But if
you say $(GIMP_LIBDIR) will put them in the right place then that's good
enough for me!

--

Steve Lipa
slipa@xxxxxxxxxxxx