Re: [Gimp-developer] no ppd file usable with gimp2.0pre4?

   From: Roger Leigh <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 20:29:09 +0000

   Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> writes:

   > Roger Leigh <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
   >
   >> Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> writes:
   >>
   >> > Note to the gimp-print developers: You should consider to stop using
   >> > scanf() and similar locale-dependant functions to read your config
   >> > files. Setting LC_NUMERIC to C is a workaround but it's rather ugly
   >> > and easy to forget.
   >>
   >> What should be used instead (given that Standard C does not have
   >> locale objects)?
   >
   > http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-String-Utility-Functions.html#g-ascii-strtod
   > http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-String-Utility-Functions.html#g-ascii-dtostr
   > http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-String-Utility-Functions.html#g-ascii-formatd

   I wish we were able to use Glib :-(

Just to make it clear: the reason we don't use Glib in the core is
that it isn't part of the standard load on a lot of platforms (in
particular, OS X).  We've had enough issues on OS X with Ghostscript,
which is *necessary* (there's no workaround whatsoever) in a lot of
cases; OS X users want a single binary blob.  We've made a conscious
choice that we're going to play as well as possible with the working
methods of OS X users.  OS X users are already suspicious enough of
the UNIX core (command line geeks) and don't want to be reminded of
the fact.  They see their computers as appliances.

I suppose there would be an option to bundle a binary of Glib in with
Gimp-Print, but that would certainly complicate matters some.  In
general, we want to stay on the trailing edge with non-core
functionality, such as utility libraries and language features.

I tried a while back to install Gnumeric on my SuSE 8.1 (not even 18
months old) systems, and it was a horrible mess indeed.  I had to
install more or less the entire GNOME stack, and that caused other
problems with older Gnome 2 stuff in SuSE.  I did get Gnumeric to
work, but too many other things fell apart as a result and I had to
back it out.  Gimp-Print is core printer functionality for a lot of
people, and they won't be too sympathetic to issues like this.  If
there's no way around it, we can crib code, which we would then have
to maintain.

If the problem's with the Print plugin or libgimpprintui, we can
obviously afford to use Glib 1.2 (there are lots of GIMP 1.2 users out
there, and I don't want to break them).

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@xxxxxxxxxxxx