Re: [Gimp-developer] virus issue on the gimp-developer mailing list

Hi Kevin:

Intention wasn't to give blame or point fingers.  I am by no means an
expert in email viruses/spam issues but wanted to make sure that the topic
got brought up (for all I knew those developers weren't getting the emails
and therefore weren't aware of something that they should be and I tried
to politely make them aware.)  My first thought was: that's odd, those
guys aren't likely to be using outlook or other virus-prone mail clients.
Spoofing hadn't occurred to me but now does seem highly likely here.

Thanks David, for reminding us that we're all on the same side here: we
have in common the interest of keeping the discussion list to be a useful
forum.

If rampant email address and origin spoofing is going on, then it
really seems to change the nature of the anti-spam/anti-virus game.  It is
no longer the case that you can avoid the virus problem by being really
careful about not executing anything that you get in your mail - I was
used to thinking this way.  I don't really know how to prevent falsified
headers or how to identify list-members (?) who are originating the
insidious spoof-virus-spam.  What a pain!

Sadly, none of this has anything to do with gimp development.  It is my
hope that this virus/spoofing distraction can be resolved so that we can
get "back to business" with minimal interruption.  The mailing lists
are one of the best tools for open source development, so it is especially
disturbing to see their use being degraded in this manner.

So I likely won't respond on this thread again, but leave it up to the
experts and those doing the unsavory task of sysadmin on the mailservers
to figure out what, if anything, can be done to solve the problem.

Thanks for understanding,

Mat Caughron

P.S.  Suggestions off-list for effective open source anti-spam software
would be much appreciated.