Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: Last day for abstracts

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, David Neary wrote:

> Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:14:30 +0100
> From: David Neary <dneary@xxxxxxx>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: Carol Spears <carol@xxxxxxxx>,
>      GIMPDev <gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: Last day for abstracts
>
> Hi,
>
> Alan Horkan wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Carol Spears wrote:
> > > it is going to be a tough act to follow robin rowe and cinepaint.
> >
> > I know you are funny sometimes but we all know Robin reads this list and
> > such comments dont help anyone.
> >
> > Can't we all just get along?
>
> I agree with the sentiment, but AFAIK Robin hasn't read this list
> since yosh de-subscribed him during the Summer after yet another
> row over the history of FilmGIMP. Just wanted to say that I
> disagreed with someone abusing their power like that - after all,
> we're welcome on the Cinepaint lists.

You cannot prevent people reading the web based archives (assuming there
is a working version around somewhere) nor can you ban every unknown
address which anyone could easily aquire if they wanted to join this
_public_ list.  However if you made Robin that unwelcome I doubt he would
bother rejoining the list and by outright banning him you will have only
aliented him further.

I understand that some people resent the duplication of effort and that
comments on both sides have been less than friendly but it benifits
neither project to argue.

I still believe that both projects can coexist and that each can focus on
doing something well and both fulfill a useful niche.

It is long overdue for both projects to accept each other and work
together.

It seems odd to me that the best way to produce a plugin compatible with
both Cinepaint and the GIMP is to program it to the Adobe Photoshop API.

I know that it is a contentious issue but someone has to just draw a line
and move on for the greater good and it deeply saddens me that you dont
cut each other a bit more slack and that these kinds of childish
arguements, misunderstanding and misinterpreations prevent talented
developers from working together.

I really love the work that the GIMP has done and I'm glad that CinePaint
has been able to fill a niche for those who need 32 bit support right now
and cannot or are unwilling to wait for GEGL.

I dont want to gush and say how wonderful you all are for devoting your
free time to work on the GIMP but I worry that the joy is being lost.  I
really sincerely appreciate having such a powerful solution as the GIMP
but the GIMP has only just begun.

I know it is a cliche but if you cannot say anything nice please do try
and dont say anything at all.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
concerned stakeholder.