Re: [Gimp-developer] Updated roadmap (so people don't laugh at the old one)

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 13:27, Sven Neumann wrote:
> David Neary <dneary@xxxxxxx> writes:
[snip]
> > So, without further ado, here's the updated roadmap... are there
> > any comments?
[snip]
> The GIMP project is already putting up enough pressure without
> people trying to nail us down on release dates. Things would be
> different if someone payed a handful of GIMP developers. They could be
> responsible for the milestones then and I could understand why someone
> would want to see such a list. However as long as GIMP is a project
> that is driven by voluntary contributions, we should IMO avoid to
> publish such lists.
>
> If the GIMP developers decide that such list of published milestones
> is required for the future development, then I am going to look for
> other projects to contribute to. After all this is supposed to be fun.

I couldn't have said it any better myself, Sven. The GIMP is a spare
time project for all of us - personally I have enough deadlines and
stressful release dates as part of my study. I don't need more of these
during my free time.

The GIMP is being developed by a group of volunteers - Personally I'm in
it partly because it's lots of fun and partly because I learn a lot
during the the process. Imposing a fixed release schedule will take a
great deal of fun out of the project, I'm afraid.

Don't get me wrong. I believe having a road map is a good thing. As with
any major software project we too need to plan ahead. But I am convinced
we should stick to only hinting at release dates like we did at the last
GIMPCon. The main goal of the road map, IMO, should be documenting which
major changes goes into which release - and even then this road map
should not be set in stone.

It's no secret that the GIMP project is rather short on active
developers these days (I haven't been very active myself lately either)
- and I think setting a tight release plan/road map will only discourage
new developers to start spending what little spare time they may have
contributing to The GIMP.

Sincerely,
./Brix
--