Re: [Gimp-developer] Handling of transparent pixels

On Sunday 21 December 2003 18:37, usr352@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Raphaël Quinet <quinet@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(...)
> >> I actually think Joao S. O. Buenos patch to the PNG plug-in is a
> >> nice addition/work around the optimization problem - I have yet
> >> to try it out, though.
> >
> >I haven't tried it either, but it could indeed be a nice addition
> > to the PNG plug-in.
>
> And what about the TGA and the TIFF and the
> <insert-your-favourite-format-with-alpha-here> formats? Isn't it
> better to solve the issue in a more general way, so that the user
> doesn't get confused if such-and-such load plug-in doesn't include
> the option to load the alpha as a mask?

Actually, all my patch does is to make avalilable an extra option on
the PNG save dialog - a "save transparent pixel color values", which
is true by default.

It is an extra do the PNG save that doesn't break any other thing, and
give to the user control that would only be achievable by some
maneuvers of making a selection based on the alpha channel, and
zeroing the colors inside it, and which is useful, for instance, to
make the file get better compression.

If it is found to be THAT useful, it could be moved to the GIMP
preferences, but either way, each file format's  save plugin would
have to be changed to get aware of that. In any case this would be a
Gimp 2.2 matter.  (And I think BUG 129472 could be merged in just
now, in time to the first pre-2.0 without breaking anything)

Regards,
	JS
	-><-