Re: [Gimp-developer] Friends of GIMP

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:
> David Neary <dneary@xxxxxxx> writes:
> > What do people think of the idea of a Friends of GIMP list that gets
> > added to the announce list when we make a release, for example?
>
> I thought that's what gimp-developer was for.

Personally I don't think that's what the developer list is for...
The developers list is for people actively involved. I doubt S&P
are on the developers list, for example. I wouldn't be surprised
if a lot of older heads are no longer subscribed to the list
(although I'm sure that many have stayed subscribed).

The devel list is not pro-active. It does nothing to get people
into the project, which is what we need. You could call this
targeted spam, if you like... and effort to actively get in
contact with people who used to hang around, and don't any more.
An effort to become the cool kids again :)

Recently the only way people outside our little clan have been
hearing about the GIMP is through release announcements. With no
disrespect intended to the site, it's not been the medium that
we've used for disseminating information, and www. looks a bit
old these days. mmmaybe hasn't had the news updating, most gimp
people don't syndicate blogs in the way that, say GNOME
developers do (I don't know how many times I've heard about cool
new GNOME stuff through blog comments). So we need to make an
effort in this respect.

There are 2 groups of people that we can aim for - people who
once were heavy GIMPers, the people (like Xach, say) who were
never developers, but did a huge amount to make a community
around it, and people who have never been GIMPers, but have a lot
to offer (new arrivals who have made a huge impact recently are
Joao, Pedro and Roman - we need more people like them).

The Friends of GIMP is one way to target the first group - for a
start, we know exactly who they are, which makes the task a lot
easier. I think that if the community starts to become as vibrant
as it was in the 1.1.x days, we will not have huge problems with
the second group.

Cheers,
Dave.

--