Re: [Gimp-developer] gimp-help-2 - TODOs and ideas

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 12:44:16AM +0100, Daniel Egger wrote:
> Am Mit, den 17.12.2003 schrieb Roman Joost um 21:30:
>
> >   1. Renaming of the current XML files, that the corresponding help ids:
> >   app/widgets/gimphelp-ids.h.  This is mostly done by me. I'll check the
> >   changes in as soon as possible.
>
> Huh? Probably it's just me being dense...
Heh - no. I shouldn't write mails during a lecture ... The existing XML
files are renamed to the name of the help ids in
$GIMP/app/widgets/gimphelp-ids.h, eg: airbrush.xml is now:
tool-airbrush.xml

> >   2. Adding XML files for all the other help ids, especially for the
> >   plugins. This would help the gimp developers to test the help browser.
> >   The content should look like the one in: src/not_yet_written.xml.
> >   The structure of each document should look like:
> >     a) a phrase like: "this document has not been written"
> >     b) author name
> >     c) plugin name, additional information, etc
> >     d) an email adress and a contact person, where a person can send as
> >     (plain) documentation
>
> This has caused quite some gripes back in the good ol' times. What about
> using xinclude tricks to supply the content of one template document as
> the source for yet-to-be written files? This approach is documented in
> http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ however I haven't had the time to
> verify that it works with xsltproc yet.

I'll have a look at it ...

> >   3. This item was not discussed on the IRC, but maybe an interesting
> >   thing to add: an example how to use a tool|documented item. This
> >   should look like eg. "How do you make a rectangular selection". By
> >   explaining this example step by step, i think, it'll make the life
> >   much easier for the user.
>
> We talked about this earlier and seemed to have agreed that this is a
> nice idea. :)

Okey - added this to the WIKI ...

> >   We've now only a TODO list on the WIKI. Every gimp-help-2 developer
> >   can pick a term and solve it. This reminds me to bugzilla. Well, this
> >   implies, that someone feels responsible for his part on gimp-help-2
> >   (writing content or something else) and can use bugzilla. How do think
> >   other gimp-help-2 members about this? Maybe the project needs a bit
> >   more contributors, for making sense...
>
> I don't think it makes sense to have formal assignments of specific
> topics as this would take away most of the fun a volunteers project
> should make.

Merry Christmas,
--
Roman Joost