[Gimp-developer] plug-in update questions

Hello GIMP developers:

I am in the process of updating my plug-in (p2m-plugin) to work
with GIMP 1.3.   My GIMP is based on the gimp-1.3.23.tar.bz2
tarball.  Getting the plug-in to work with 1.3 has been
fairly straightforward, but I was hoping to get your advice
on a couple of topics:

1) My plug-in converts images into integrated circuit or
   printed circuit board layouts.  (You might use it to
   put your company logo on a chip.)  Thus it registers
   file save handlers.   On the other hand, it does not
   make sense to try to convert layouts to images, so
   there are no corresponding file load handlers.  However,
   after using my plugin to save logo.jpg as logo.cif,
   for example, the File/Open Recent menu will include
   an entry for logo.cif.   Is there anything my save
   handler can do to dissuade GIMP from adding logo.cif
   to this list?

2) I haven't quite figured out how the help system works.
   I think I have all of the software installed correctly,
   including the CVS version of gtkhtml2 and
   all of the stuff mentioned in devel-docs/README.gtkdoc.
   When I hit the F1 button, the GIMP Help Browser appears
   but so does a GIMP Message informing me that my
   gimp-help.xml file is missing.   I am further confused
   by the fact that gimp-plugin-template-1.3.2 installs
   PREFIX/share/gimp-plugin-template/help/C/gimp-plugin-template.html
   while the RGB-mixer plug-in (which seems to be based
   on the gimp-plugin-template) installs its help as
   PREFIX/share/gimp/1.3/help/C/filters/RGB-mixer.html
   I notice that the RGB-mixer plug-in has a GTK_STOCK_HELP
   button in its dialog but none of the standard plug-ins
   seem to.  Is there any particular reason that I should
   either include or not include a GTK_STOCK_HELP button?
   Also, I cannot type anything into what appears to
   be a URL entry area in the GIMP Help Browser.  Is this
   possibly because I have installed something wrong?
   Could someone please provide a simplified overview of
   how the help system works and maybe point me towards
   what I need to read to figure out how to test my plug-in's
   help pages?  I am mainly interested in knowing if I
   need to provide xml files (I don't know anything about
   xml but will learn if I have to...) or if I can get away
   with html, where they really need to be installed, and how
   to tell the GIMP where to find them.

Thanks very much for any help you can offer, and for your work
on the GIMP.  1.3.23 is very nice.

Steve

--

Steve Lipa