Re: [Gimp-developer] gimp2-freetype

Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Thierry Vignaud <tvignaud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > i package gimp, gimp-data and gimp1_3.
> >
> > a contributor packaged gimp-freetype-0.4.tar.bz2 as gimp2-freetype
> > which indeed is for gimp2.
>
> gimp-freetype-0.4 has never been officially released. I suspect that
> the package was built from CVS then.

yes, the package version number explictely said this:
gimp2-freetype-0.4-0.20030810.2mdk

> If it was built from CVS in August, then it won't work with the
> latest 1.3 releases. For that reason, I kindly ask you to remove
> this package. If you want to, you can build a new one based on the
> current state in CVS, but please don't name it gimp2-freetype until
> the 2.0 API is completely frozen and it can be sure that the package
> will indeed work with GIMP-2.0.

we do not remove packages just because they're build from cvs.
being build from cvs rather than an official release does not imply
less stability (there're packages for which this is false ...).
also some projects do not do official releases for quite a long time
despite being stable and usual (eg perl-gtk2 binding which was more
usuable and robust than old perl-gtk1 binding).

anyway it need to be rebuild for current gimp1.3.

abel, götz ?