[Gimp-developer] ANNOUNCE: Gimp-Print 4.2.6-rc1

Gimp-Print 4.2.6-rc1, released November 15, 2003, is a release
candidate in the Gimp-Print 4.2 series.  We expect that 4.2.6, when
the final version is released, to be the last release in the 4.2
series.

Gimp-Print is a suite of printer drivers that may be used with most
common UNIX print spooling systems, including CUPS, lpr, LPRng, or
others.  These drivers provide high quality printing for UNIX
(including Macintosh OS X 10.2 and newer) and Linux systems in many
cases equal to or better than proprietary vendor-supplied drivers, and
can be used for many of the most demanding printing tasks.

This software includes the Print plug-in for the Gimp, and GhostScript
and CUPS drivers, including Foomatic data.

The Print plug-in for the GIMP requires the Gimp 1.2.

The CUPS driver requires CUPS 1.1.9 or higher.  1.1.14 or above is
highly recommended, as certain translation-related bugs are fixed and
it is possible to print true CMYK.

The Ghostscript driver requires GNU Ghostscript 5.10, 5.50, 6.51, or any
later GNU Ghostscript release based on 6.51 (e. g. 6.52).  It may also
be used with GNU Ghostscript 7.05, or with ESP Ghostscript 7.05.

The IJS GhostScript plugin driver requires GNU Ghostscript 6.53 or
later, ESP Ghostscript 7.05 or later, or APFL GhostScript 7.04 or
later.

Users of Macintosh OS X 10.2 and above can use this package, as the
printing system is based on CUPS, which is supported by Gimp-print.
Note that Macintosh OS X 10.0 and 10.1 (including 10.1.5) cannot use
this package.  We recommend that Macintosh OS X users download the
precompiled installer package from
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3 rather than attempt to
build this package from source, as using the installer is much
simpler.  We further recommend that Macintosh OS X users install ESP
GhostScript, to permit printing from Carbon applications (such as most
Adobe applications) that generate PostScript rather than PDF output.
Directions for that are also available at
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3.

Please read the README file for full instructions on installing this
package from source code.

Gimp-Print 4.2.6-rc1 contains the following major changes over
Gimp-Print 4.2.6-pre3:

1) Printing in black and white and grayscale modes on the Epson Stylus
   Color 600, 800, 850, 1520, and 3000 is fixed.

The following bug has been fixed in Gimp-Print 4.2.6-rc1:

842715 Epson 600/800/850/1520/3000 fail at certain resolutions BW

The following previously reported bugs have been tested and cannot be
reproduced:

828993 CNR: Epson SC 850 using Microweave prints tall characters
764041 CNR: Epson 3000 720x360DPI problem

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@xxxxxxxxxxxx

--Eric Crampton