[Gimp-developer] How the UNDO system works?

Hello

I wonder how the undo works in gimp?

I'm currently trying to write a little tool in java which operates on big files (70-120MB) and wonder how to make undo memory efficient.

Lets say I change something in Curves dialog in gimp. It takes effect on all pixels. So if I want to undo this operation, I have to have *all* the pixels before the operation. Right? So assuming 100MB image, the undo operation requires additional 100MB of space for one undo step. If I want to undo more such operations I would need image_size * undo_steps RAM for undo system?

I'm affraid this question looks naive, but I can't imagine that the algorithm I mentioned above works in gimp. I suspect it is a bit more clever.

Regards

Piotr L.